Are you looking for lower-priced auto insurance rates in Wilson, NC? Getting the most affordable quotes online can be rather difficult for vehicle owners that are not comfortable with quoting and comparing and buying auto insurance over the internet. When there are so many insurance companies available, how are vehicle owners expected to have time to compare each option to find better rates?
A recent study showed that nearly 70% of consumers have purchased from the same company for a minimum of four years, and approximately 38% of consumers have never shopped around. Many drivers in North Carolina could pocket $94 a year, but they underestimate how much they could save if they moved their coverage to a different company.
You need to do rate comparisons periodically due to the fact that insurance prices go up and down regularly. Even if you got the lowest rates on auto insurance a few years ago the chances are good that you can find a lower premium rate today. You can find a lot of wrong information about auto insurance on the internet, but by reading this article, you're going to learn some excellent ideas to lower your auto insurance rates in Wilson.
Buying the cheapest car insurance in Wilson can be easy if you know a few tricks. Practically every driver who is looking for cheaper car insurance will probably be able to find lower rates. But North Carolina vehicle owners can benefit from knowing how insurance companies price online insurance and apply this information to your search.
How to get low cost auto insurance in Wilson
It's important to know that quoting more helps you find a lower rate. Not every company does quotes over the internet, so it's recommended that you also compare price quotes on coverage from those companies, too.
The companies shown below can provide price comparisons in Wilson, NC. If more than one company is shown, we suggest you visit several of them to get the most competitive price.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Colorado LT 4WD||$716||$358||$60|
|Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 2WD||$1,228||$614||$102|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab Sport 4WD||$1,032||$516||$86|
|Ford Edge Limited 2WD||$730||$365||$61|
|Ford Escape Limited 4WD||$698||$349||$58|
|Ford F-150 FX4 4WD||$776||$388||$65|
|Ford Focus SES 4-Dr Sedan||$1,112||$556||$93|
|GMC Sierra SLE Regular Cab 4WD||$708||$354||$59|
|Honda Accord EX-L 2-Dr Coupe||$784||$392||$65|
|Honda CR-V LX 4WD||$722||$361||$60|
|Honda Civic LX 4-Dr Sedan||$802||$401||$67|
|Honda Odyssey Touring||$1,062||$531||$89|
|Hyundai Sonata GLS 4-Dr Sedan||$704||$352||$59|
|Mazda 3 I Touring 4-Dr Sedan||$800||$400||$67|
|Nissan Altima Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$916||$458||$76|
|Toyota Camry Hybrid||$664||$332||$55|
|Toyota Corolla LE||$938||$469||$78|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on single female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and North Carolina minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, safe-driver, and homeowner. Price information does not factor in the specific area where the vehicle is garaged which can change premium rates significantly.
Cost comparison with and without full coverage
The chart below examines Hyundai Sonata yearly insurance costs with and without physical damage coverage. The premium estimates are based on no violations or accidents, $500 deductibles, single male driver, and no discounts are applied.
Hyundai Sonata rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Should you pay for full coverage?
There is no definitive guideline to stop paying for full coverage, but there is a general convention. If the annual cost of coverage is more than about 10% of the settlement you would receive from your company, then it may be the right time to buy liability only.
For example, let's say your Hyundai Sonata book value is $6,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, the most you would receive is $5,000 after the deductible is paid. If you are currently paying more than $500 a year for your policy with full coverage, then you might want to consider buying only liability coverage.
There are a few cases where only buying liability is not a good plan. If you haven't satisfied your loan, you have to maintain full coverage to protect the lienholder's interest. Also, if your emergency fund is not enough to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is damaged, you should not buy liability only.
Rate comparison for different deductibles
The example below shows how choosing a deductible and can change Ford F-150 insurance rates for different age groups of insureds. Data assumes a single male driver, full physical damage coverage, and no discounts are applied.
Ford F-150 rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Three reasons to insure your vehicle
Even though it's not necessarily cheap to insure a vehicle in Wilson, insurance is required in North Carolina but also provides important benefits.
First, just about all states have minimum liability requirements which means you are required to buy specific minimum amounts of liability insurance in order to drive the car legally. In North Carolina these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you took out a loan on your vehicle, almost every bank will require that you buy full coverage to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totalled. If you do not keep the policy in force, the bank may buy a policy for your vehicle at a much higher premium rate and force you to pay the higher premium.
Third, insurance safeguards your vehicle and your assets. Insurance will pay for medical transport and hospital expenses for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, also pays for attorney fees and expenses if you are sued as the result of your driving. If you have damage to your vehicle as the result of the weather or an accident, your car insurance policy will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of buying car insurance definitely exceed the price paid, particularly for liability claims. But the average driver in North Carolina is overpaying over $825 a year so compare quotes from several companies each time the policy renews to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Drivers who switch save $482 a year? Really?
Allstate, GEICO and Progressive endlessly run ads in print and on television. They all convey the message that drivers can save some big amount after switching your coverage to them. How does each company cost less than your current company? It's all in the wording.
All the different companies are able to cherry pick for the type of insured that will most likely be profitable. An example of this type of insured may need to be between the ages of 40 and 55, has no claims, and drives newer vehicles. Someone who fits those characteristics gets the lowest car insurance rates and will also save if they switch.
Potential insureds who fall short of these stringent criteria will get a higher rate which usually ends up with the prospect going elsewhere. The trick companies use is to say "drivers that switch" but not "everyone who gets a quote" save that much money. That's the way companies can truthfully make those statements. Different companies use different criteria so you should do a price quote comparison at every renewal. Because without a comparison, you cannot know which auto insurance company will have the lowest auto insurance in Wilson.
You may qualify for discounts
Companies that sell car insurance don't always publicize all discounts very well, so we researched both well-publicized in addition to some of the lesser obvious ways to save on car insurance.
- Multi-Vehicle Discounts - Purchasing coverage when you have multiple cars with the same car insurance company can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Military Discounts - Being deployed in the military could be rewarded with lower car insurance rates.
- Auto/Home Discount - If you combine your home and auto policies with one company you will save at least 10% off all policies.
- Cautious Drivers - Accident-free drivers can save as much as half off their rates than drivers with accident claims.
- Memberships - Having an affiliation with a civic or occupational organization in Wilson is a simple method to lower premiums on your next renewal.
- Pay Upfront and Save - If you pay your bill all at once instead of paying each month you could save 5% or more.
- Distant College Student Discount - College-age children who are enrolled in a college that is more than 100 miles from Wilson and do not have access to a covered vehicle can receive lower rates.
- Discount for Good Grades - Performing well in school can get you a discount of up to 25%. Many companies even apply the discount to college students until age 25.
While discounts sound great, it's important to understand that some of the credits will not apply to the entire policy premium. Most only apply to specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. So despite the fact that it appears all the discounts add up to a free policy, it doesn't quite work that way.
Larger car insurance companies and some of the premium reductions they offer are included below.
- Progressive offers premium reductions for online quote discount, online signing, multi-policy, continuous coverage, multi-vehicle, and homeowner.
- SAFECO may have discounts that include anti-theft, homeowner, accident prevention training, bundle discounts, safe driver, and anti-lock brakes.
- American Family offers discounts for mySafetyValet, bundled insurance, good student, accident-free, and defensive driver.
- MetLife may offer discounts for multi-policy, accident-free, good driver, claim-free, defensive driver, good student
- GEICO discounts include military active duty, five-year accident-free, driver training, federal employee, and good student.
- The Hartford offers discounts including defensive driver, vehicle fuel type, anti-theft, good student, air bag, bundle, and driver training.
If you want the cheapest Wilson car insurance quotes, ask each company to give you their best rates. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts may not be available in every state. If you would like to view providers that provide some of the discounts listed above in Wilson, click here to view.
Don't I need to have guidance from a local insurance agent?
Some consumers just prefer to visit with an insurance agent and that can be a great decision One of the great benefits of comparing rates online is that drivers can save money and get the best rates and still have an agent to talk to.
By using this short form, your information is instantly submitted to insurance agents in Wilson that give free quotes for your car insurance coverage. You never need to do any legwork due to the fact that quote results will go immediately to you. Get lower rates and work with a local agent. In the event you want to compare rates from a specific company, feel free to visit that company's website and submit a quote form there.
Picking the best insurance company requires you to look at more than just a low price. These are valid questions to ask:
- Will high miles depreciate repair valuations?
- Do they make recommendations based only on price?
- Is vehicle damage repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
- Do they regularly work with personal auto policies in Wilson?
- Is the agent and/or agency licensed to do business in North Carolina?
- How many years have they been established?
- What discounts might you be missing?
If you are searching for a good insurance agency, it's important to understand the different agency structures to choose from. Car insurance agencies are either independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
These agents normally can only provide a single company's rates and examples are Farmers Insurance, Allstate, or State Farm. These agents are unable to provide other company's prices so it's a take it or leave it situation. Exclusive agents are usually well trained on sales techniques which helps offset the inability to provide other markets. Consumers sometimes buy insurance from these agents partially due to the prominence of the brand rather than low price.
Agents of this type are not limited to a single company so as a result can place your coverage with any number of different companies depending on which coverage is best. If they quote lower rates, they simply switch companies in-house and you stay with the same agent. When shopping rates, you will want to contact several independent agencies to maximize your price options. Many can place coverage with mutual insurance companies that may have much lower rates than larger companies.
Upon getting good answers for all questions you ask and inexpensive Wilson car insurance quotes, you've probably found an insurance agent that can be trusted to properly service your car insurance policy. Just remember you are able to terminate coverage at any point so never assume that you're stuck with a specific company for the full term.
How much insurance do I need?
Always keep in mind that when comparing the best insurance coverage, there is no perfect coverage plan. Everyone's needs are different so your insurance should reflect that For example, these questions can help discover if your situation could use an agent's help.
- How much can I save by bundling my policies?
- When should I buy a commercial auto policy?
- Why do I have to buy liability insurance?
- What is the ISO rating for a vehicle?
- What is the premium to book value ratio for dropping full coverage?
- Where can I find high-risk insurance?
- If my vehicle is totaled, can I afford another vehicle?
- I have good health insurance, so how much medical payments coverage do I need?
- Does my insurance cover my expensive audio equipment?
If you don't know the answers to these questions but you think they might apply to your situation then you might want to talk to a licensed agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, complete this form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier
Be persistent and save
When shopping online for car insurance, it's very important that you do not sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. Too many times, someone dropped collision coverage only to find out that the savings was not a smart move. The ultimate goal is to find the BEST coverage at the lowest possible cost, but do not skimp to save money.
Lower-priced car insurance in Wilson can be purchased both online and from local agencies, so you should be comparing quotes from both to have the best selection. There are still a few companies who may not have online quoting and these regional insurance providers sell through independent agents.
For more information, feel free to browse the articles below:
- Hybrid vehicles cost insurers more (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- What is the Cheapest Car Insurance in Goldsboro, North Carolina? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for a Ford Explorer in North Carolina? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest with Multiple Speeding Tickets in North Carolina? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable North Carolina Auto Insurance for Young Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Quotes for a Toyota Corolla in North Carolina? (FAQ)
- What is the Cheapest Auto Insurance in Apex, North Carolina? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for a Chevrolet Equinox in North Carolina? (FAQ)
- Where can I buy Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Shopping for a Safe Car (Insurance Information Institute)