Want to know an easy way to compare cheaper auto insurance rates in High Point, NC? Are you confused by the dozens of auto insurance providers in your area? Many other drivers are as well. North Carolina consumers have so many options that it can turn into a difficult challenge to find the perfect company for you. Everyone knows that High Point is an awesome place to live, but high auto insurance rates can make it hard for many residents to be able to buy decent coverage.
Surprisingly, a recent survey revealed that most consumers have stayed with the same insurance company for at least four years, and nearly half have never compared rates from other carriers. The average driver in High Point could save an average of nearly $100 each year by just comparing quotes, but they just don't understand how easy it is to save money by comparing rate quotes.
The fastest way that we advise to compare policy rates is to understand almost all companies provide online access to provide you with free rate quotes. To get started, all you need to do is provide the companies a bit of rating information like how much you drive, coverage limits, how you use your vehicles, and driver ages. That rating information is submitted instantly to insurance companies and you will get price comparisons with very little delay.
To check rates for your car now, click here and see if a lower rate is available in High Point.
The companies shown below provide price comparisons in North Carolina. If several companies are displayed, we recommend you visit several of them in order to find the cheapest rates.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Equinox LT 2WD||$840||$420||$70|
|Chevrolet Impala LT||$656||$328||$55|
|Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 2WD||$752||$376||$63|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab Laramie 4WD||$808||$404||$67|
|Ford Escape XLT 4WD||$930||$465||$78|
|Ford F-150 XL Super Cab 2WD||$776||$388||$65|
|Ford Focus SES 4-Dr Sedan||$756||$378||$63|
|GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab 2WD||$792||$396||$66|
|Honda Accord EX-L 4-Dr Sedan||$826||$413||$69|
|Honda CR-V EX-L 2WD||$750||$375||$63|
|Honda Civic EX 4-Dr Sedan||$788||$394||$66|
|Hyundai Sonata GLS 4-Dr Sedan||$690||$345||$58|
|Mazda 3 S Grand Touring 4-Dr Sedan||$810||$405||$68|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4-Dr Sedan||$930||$465||$78|
|Nissan Rogue SL AWD||$1,090||$545||$91|
|Toyota Camry LE||$970||$485||$81|
|Toyota Corolla XLE||$834||$417||$70|
|Toyota Tacoma X-Runner 2WD||$800||$400||$67|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on single male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and North Carolina minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, safe-driver, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, and homeowner. Rates do not factor in specific location which can alter coverage rates significantly.
Careless driving habits raise car insurance rates
The illustration below highlights how traffic violations and accident claims can increase Toyota Corolla car insurance costs for each different age group. The premium estimates are based on a married male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $1,000 deductibles, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Toyota Corolla rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Rate comparison of full coverage and liability-only
The information below examines Honda Civic car insurance costs when comparing full coverage to state minimum liability only. The prices are based on no accidents, no driving violations, $250 deductibles, single male driver, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Honda Civic rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
When to eliminate full coverage
There is no definitive guideline of when to exclude physical damage coverage on your policy, but there is a guideline you can consider. If the annual cost of comprehensive and collision coverage is 10% or more of any settlement you would receive from your insurance company, then you may need to consider dropping full coverage.
For example, let's pretend your Honda Civic book value is $9,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is severely damaged, you would only receive $8,000 after paying your policy deductible. If premiums are more than $800 annually for comprehensive and collision coverage, then it's probably a good time to buy liability coverage only.
There are some conditions where buying only liability insurance is not advised. If you haven't paid off your loan, you have to keep full coverage as part of the loan requirements. Also, if you cannot afford to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is in an accident, you should not drop full coverage.
Save $447 a year. For real?
Auto insurance companies such as Progressive, Allstate and GEICO consistently run ads on television and other media. They all make the point about savings if you switch to them. Is it even possible that every company can lower your prices? This is how they do it.
Many companies can use profiling for the type of customer that earns them the highest profit. For example, a profitable insured might be between the ages of 40 and 55, carries full coverage, and the vehicle is rated for pleasure use. A driver that fits those parameters will get a cheap rate quote in High Point and have a good chance to save quite a bit of money when switching.
Drivers who are not a match for those standards will have to pay a higher premium and business going elsewhere. The trick companies use is to say "customers who switch" not "everybody who quotes" can get the lowest rates when switching. That's the way companies can truthfully make the claims of big savings. Different companies use different criteria so you need to compare free High Point auto insurance quotes often. It's just not possible to know which insurance companies will provide the lowest auto insurance in High Point.
Car insurance just makes sense
Despite the potentially high cost of car insurance, insurance may be required and benefits you in several ways.
- Most states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means you are required to buy specific minimum amounts of liability insurance coverage in order to get the vehicle licensed. In North Carolina these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your vehicle, it's guaranteed your bank will make it a condition of the loan that you buy full coverage to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you do not keep the policy in force, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your vehicle for a lot more money and require you to reimburse them for it.
- Car insurance protects both your assets and your vehicle. Insurance will pay for many types of medical costs for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance also pays expenses related to your legal defense if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If your vehicle gets damaged, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance outweigh the cost, especially if you ever need it. The average driver in North Carolina is overpaying over $830 a year so you should quote and compare rates at every policy renewal to ensure rates are inline.
Discounts can help to save on car insurance
Companies that sell car insurance don't always publicize all discounts very clearly, so the following is a list of a few of the more common and also the more inconspicuous credits that you can use to lower your rates.
- Save with a New Car - Adding a new car to your policy can get you a discount because newer vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- Defensive Driver Discount - Taking time to complete a safe driver class could save 5% or more if you qualify.
- Waiver for an Accident - Not really a discount, but some companies like Allstate and State Farm allow you one accident before raising your premiums with the catch being you have to be claim-free prior to the accident.
- Payment Method - By paying your policy upfront instead of monthly or quarterly installments you could save 5% or more.
- Discount for Passive Restraints - Options like air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems may qualify for discounts of more than 20%.
- Student Discount for Driver Training - Reduce the cost of insurance for teen drivers by having them take driver's ed class in high school.
- Good Students Pay Less - A discount for being a good student may save as much as 25% on a High Point auto insurance quote. Many companies even apply the discount to college students well after school through age 25.
- Federal Employees - Employees or retirees of the government may reduce rates when you quote High Point auto insurance but check with your company.
- Service Members Pay Less - Being deployed with a military unit could mean lower car insurance rates.
Please keep in mind that many deductions do not apply the the whole policy. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like liability and collision coverage. Even though it appears you could get a free car insurance policy, car insurance companies aren't that generous.
To see a list of providers that offer some of these discounts in High Point, click here.
Exclusive versus independent car insurance agents
Many people just prefer to get professional advice from a licensed agent and that is a smart decision A nice benefit of comparing insurance online is that you can obtain cheap rate quotes but also keep your business local.
After filling out this form (opens in new window), your insurance coverage information is emailed to local insurance agents in High Point who will give competitive quotes for your coverage. You never need to search for any insurance agencies because quoted prices will be sent to the email address you provide. You can most likely find cheaper rates AND a local agent. In the event you want to get a rate quote from one company in particular, feel free to jump over to their website and fill out their quote form.
Picking the best provider should include more criteria than just a cheap quote. Any agent in High Point should have no problem answering these questions:
- Can glass repairs be made at your home?
- Is every driver in your family covered?
- Is the quote a firm price?
- How much training do they have in personal risk management?
- Do they receive special compensation for putting your coverage with one company over another?
- Does the company have a solid financial rating?
- By raising physical damage deductibles, how much would you save?
Types of auto insurance agents in High Point
When narrowing the list to find a good insurance agency, you must know there are a couple different types of agents and how they are distinctly different. Insurance policy providers are considered either independent agents or exclusive agents.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Exclusive insurance agents are contracted to one company and examples are State Farm, AAA, and Liberty Mutual. They usually cannot place coverage with different providers so it's a take it or leave it situation. These agents are usually well trained on their products and sales techniques which aids in selling service over price. Drivers often purchase coverage from exclusives primarily because of the brand legacy and strong financial ratings.
Agents that choose to be independent are not locked into one company so they can insure your vehicles through many different insurance companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If you want to switch companies, an independent agent can move your coverage and you stay with the same agent. If you are trying to find cheaper rates, you should always check rates from at a minimum one independent agency so that you can do a thorough price comparison. Most also write with different regional companies that can offer cheaper rates than bigger companies.
You are unique and your insurance should be too
When it comes to buying a policy for your personal vehicles, there is no perfect coverage plan. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs and your policy should reflect that. These are some specific questions may help you determine if your insurance needs might need an agent's assistance.
- Do I benefit by insuring my home with the same company?
- Am I better off with higher deductibles on my vehicle?
- Should I sign the liability waiver when renting a car?
- Why do I only qualify for high-risk insurance?
- Can I rate high risk drivers on liability-only vehicles?
- Why am I required to buy liability insurance?
- Are split liability limits better than a combined single limit?
If it's difficult to answer those questions but you know they apply to you, you may need to chat with an agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, simply complete this short form or click here for a list of insurance companies in your area.
Learning about specific coverages of your policy helps when choosing which coverages you need and the correct deductibles and limits. The terms used in a policy can be difficult to understand and nobody wants to actually read their policy. These are the usual coverages available from auto insurance companies.
UM/UIM Coverage - Your UM/UIM coverage provides protection when the "other guys" are uninsured or don't have enough coverage. Covered claims include injuries sustained by your vehicle's occupants and damage to your vehicle.
Due to the fact that many North Carolina drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (which is 30/60/25), their limits can quickly be used up. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is important protection for you and your family.
Collision coverage - This pays for damage to your vehicle resulting from a collision with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You first must pay a deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision coverage pays for claims such as rolling your car, sideswiping another vehicle, damaging your car on a curb and driving through your garage door. This coverage can be expensive, so consider dropping it from older vehicles. Another option is to bump up the deductible to get cheaper collision coverage.
Medical costs insurance - Med pay and PIP coverage kick in for bills for things like prosthetic devices, chiropractic care and nursing services. They are often used to fill the gap from your health insurance policy or if you lack health insurance entirely. Coverage applies to you and your occupants as well as getting struck while a pedestrian. PIP is not an option in every state and may carry a deductible
Comprehensive or Other Than Collision - This coverage covers damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You first must pay your deductible and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive insurance covers things such as damage from a tornado or hurricane, hail damage and fire damage. The maximum amount a auto insurance company will pay at claim time is the actual cash value, so if the vehicle's value is low consider dropping full coverage.
Auto liability - Liability coverage will cover damage or injury you incur to people or other property that is your fault. It protects you against claims from other people, and doesn't cover your own vehicle damage or injuries.
Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. As an example, you may have limits of 30/60/25 which stand for a $30,000 limit per person for injuries, a total of $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and a total limit of $25,000 for damage to vehicles and property.
Liability insurance covers things such as legal defense fees, court costs, repair costs for stationary objects, attorney fees and structural damage. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is up to you, but buy as high a limit as you can afford. North Carolina requires drivers to carry at least 30/60/25 but you should think about purchasing higher limits.
Don't give up on affordable premiums
In this article, we covered some good ideas how to reduce insurance rates online in High Point. It's most important to understand that the more providers you compare, the higher your chance of finding low cost High Point auto insurance quotes. Drivers may even discover the best price on insurance is with a smaller regional carrier. These smaller insurers may only write in your state and offer lower car insurance rates than their larger competitors like Progressive and GEICO.
When you buy High Point auto insurance online, don't be tempted to buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There are many occasions where consumers will sacrifice liability coverage limits only to discover later that they should have had better coverage. Your aim should be to buy enough coverage for the lowest price but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
- Winter Driving (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for a Jeep Grand Cherokee in North Carolina? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Handicapped Drivers in North Carolina? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Seniors in North Carolina? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Quotes for a School Permit in North Carolina? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for a Ford Escape in North Carolina? (FAQ)
- Vehicle Safety Ratings (iihs.org)
- Tools for Teen Driving Safety (State Farm)
- Front crash protection reduces rear-end crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)