Are you looking for a better way to compare cheaper Chevy Colorado insurance in Raleigh? Wish you could get out of high-priced Chevy Colorado insurance in Raleigh? Trust us when we tell you there are lots of Raleigh residents who feel the same.
Sadly, the vast majority of insurance customers kept buying from the same company for at least the last four years, and approximately 38% of consumers have never compared rates from other carriers. Consumers in Raleigh can save hundreds of dollars each year, but they don't understand how simple it is to find lower-cost insurance by shopping around.
Many auto insurance companies compete for your hard-earned dollar, and it can be difficult to compare rates and uncover the absolute best rates possible on Chevy Colorado insurance in Raleigh.
If you are already insured, you will surely be able to reduce the price you pay using the ideas presented in this article. Locating the best rates in Raleigh is really quite simple as long as you have a good starting point. But North Carolina vehicle owners need to have an understanding of the methods companies use to market insurance on the web and take advantage of how the system works.
Chevy Colorado Insurance Premium Factors
The best way to find cheaper insurance is to take a look at some of the things that are used to determine your premiums. If you have a feel for what impacts premium levels, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that can help you get big savings. Lots of things are considered when you get a price on insurance. Some are pretty understandable such as your driving record, but others are more transparent like your continuous coverage or how financially stable you are.
- Men are more aggressive - Over the last 50 years, statistics have shown that women are safer drivers than men. However, don't assume that males are worse at driving than females. They both are responsible for accidents at a similar rate, but men tend to have more serious accidents. Men also tend to get ticketed for serious violations such as driving while intoxicated (DWI) or driving recklessly.
- Lower rates with a multi-policy discount - Most major insurers allow better rates to policyholders that purchase more than one policy such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. Even if you qualify for this discount already, you still need to get quotes from other companies to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible.There is a good possibility that you can save even more by buying insurance from more than one company.
- Insurance is expensive for younger drivers - Beginning drivers in North Carolina have been known to be easily distracted when driving so insurance rates are higher. Parents adding a inexperienced driver to your policy can increase premiums substantially. More experienced drivers tend to be more responsible, tend to file fewer claims, and receive fewer citations.
- Vehicles with better crash test results cost less to insure - Safe vehicles cost less to insure. Safer cars reduce injuries and lower injury rates translates into savings for insurance companies and more competitive rates for policyholders.
- Big city or small town - Living in small towns and rural areas is a positive aspect when trying to find low car insurance rates. Lower population means a lower chance of having an accident and also fewer theft and vandalism claims. Drivers in populated North Carolina areas regularly have much more traffic and higher rates of accident claims. More time on the road statistically corresponds to a higher accident and claim rate.
- Chevy Colorado insurance loss probability - Insurance companies include the past claim history for a vehicle to help determine rates. Vehicles that the data shows to have higher loss trends will have a higher premium rate. The table below outlines the insurance loss data used by companies for Chevy Colorado vehicles.
For each policy coverage, the loss probability for all vehicles combined as an average is a value of 100. Values that are under 100 suggest losses that are better than average, while numbers above 100 indicate higher probability of having a loss or an increased probability of a larger loss.
Auto Insurance Loss Data for Chevrolet Colorado Models
Vehicle Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab 2WD 73 57 64 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab 4WD 90 89 86 67 Chevrolet Colorado Ext Cab 2WD 55 Chevrolet Colorado Ext Cab 4WD 67
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
Keep in mind that getting more free quotes increases the chance that you will find lower pricing. Some companies don't provide Raleigh Colorado insurance quotes online, so it's important to also get rates from them as well.
The companies in the list below are ready to provide quotes in Raleigh, NC. If multiple companies are listed, we suggest you get price quotes from several of them to find the cheapest auto insurance rates.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Colorado LT 2WD||$136||$328||$282||$16||$84||$846||$71|
|Colorado LT Extended Cab 2WD||$160||$380||$282||$16||$84||$922||$77|
|Colorado LT 4WD||$100||$190||$276||$16||$82||$664||$55|
|Colorado LT Crew Cab 2WD||$164||$372||$302||$18||$90||$946||$79|
|Colorado LT Extended Cab 4WD||$90||$172||$240||$14||$72||$588||$49|
|Colorado LT Crew Cab 4WD||$154||$300||$256||$16||$76||$802||$67|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data assumes single male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and North Carolina minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, multi-policy, claim-free, homeowner, and multi-vehicle. Information does not factor in specific location which can increase or decrease price quotes noticeably.
How much more does full coverage cost?
The information below shows the comparison of Chevrolet Colorado insurance costs when comparing full coverage to state minimum liability only. Data assumes no accidents or driving violations, $100 deductibles, single female driver, and no policy discounts are applied.
Are you wasting money paying for full coverage?
There is no specific rule of when to stop paying for full coverage, but there is a general school of thought. If the yearly cost of full coverage is more than around 10% of the settlement you would receive from your company, then you might consider buying liability only.
For example, let's assume your Chevrolet Colorado replacement value is $6,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is severely damaged, the most you would receive is $5,000 after paying your deductible. If you are currently paying more than $500 a year for physical damage coverage, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
There are some scenarios where dropping physical damage coverage is not a good idea. If you still owe money on your vehicle, you have to carry full coverage as part of the loan conditions. Also, if you can't afford to buy a different vehicle in the event your current vehicle is totaled, you should not buy liability only.
Yearly car insurance costs for men versus women
The diagram below shows the difference between Chevrolet Colorado car insurance rates for male and female drivers. The rates are based on no driving violations, no at-fault accidents, full coverage, $500 deductibles, single marital status, and no policy discounts are applied.
Where to set your deductibles
The chart below highlights how deductible selection and can change Chevrolet Colorado annual premium costs for different insured age categories. The premium estimates are based on a single male driver, comp and collision included, and no discounts are applied.
Auto insurance ads bend the truth
Well-known auto insurance companies like Progressive, GEICO, Allstate and State Farm seem to constantly run television and radio advertisements. They all convey the message that drivers will save a bundle after switching your policy. How does each company make almost identical claims?
All companies have a certain "appetite" for the type of driver they prefer to insure. For instance, this type of insured may need to be over the age of 50, has no claims, and drives a car with an anti-theft system. Any driver who fits that profile is entitled to the best price and as a result will probably save when they switch companies.
Consumers who don't qualify for the "perfect" profile will probably be forced to pay higher premium rates which usually ends up with the driver buying from a lower-cost company. If you listen to the ad wording, they say "people who switch" not "all people who quote" can get the lowest rates when switching. That's why companies can truthfully make it sound like they have such great prices. Because each company has a different risk profile, you really should get Raleigh auto insurance quotes from several different companies. It's just not possible to know with any certainty which company will be your best fit.
Three good reasons to insure your Colorado
Despite the potentially high cost of Chevy Colorado insurance, maintaining insurance is most likely required but also gives you several important benefits.
- Almost all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry specific limits of liability coverage in order to license the vehicle. In North Carolina these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Chevy Colorado has a loan, more than likely the lender will force you to have physical damage coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If coverage lapses or is canceled, the lender may insure your Chevy at an extremely high rate and force you to pay for the much more expensive policy.
- Auto insurance preserves not only your car but also your assets. Insurance will pay for medical transport and hospital expenses incurred in an accident. Liability insurance also pays for attorney fees and expenses if you are sued as the result of an accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, comprehensive and collision coverage will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of having auto insurance are definitely more than the cost, especially with large liability claims. In a recent study of 1,000 drivers, the average customer is overpaying over $700 annually so it's recommended you shop around at every renewal to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Get cheaper rates by getting discounts
Auto insurance companies do not advertise every discount in a way that's easy to find, so the list below details some of the best known and the more hidden insurance savings.
- Drive Less and Save - Low mileage vehicles can earn substantially lower premium rates.
- Accident Free - Good drivers with no accidents pay much less as opposed to drivers who are more careless.
- Seat Belt Usage - Requiring all passengers to use a seat belt can save up to 15% on the premium charged for medical payments and/or PIP.
- Driver Education Discount - It's a good idea to have your young drivers take driver's ed class as it can save substantially.
- Policy Bundle Discount - If you can combine your home and auto policy with the same insurance company you may earn 10% to 20% off each policy.
- Save over 55 - If you're over the age of 55, you can get better insurance rates.
- College Student - Youth drivers who attend college more than 100 miles from Raleigh and leave their car at home may be insured at a cheaper rate.
Drivers should understand that most discount credits are not given to the entire policy premium. The majority will only reduce specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. Just because you may think all the discounts add up to a free policy, you won't be that lucky.
Popular insurance companies and a partial list of their discounts are:
- Farm Bureau may offer discounts for driver training, multi-policy, renewal discount, youthful driver, safe driver, and 55 and retired.
- State Farm has discounts for good student, Drive Safe & Save, accident-free, passive restraint, student away at school, Steer Clear safe driver discount, and multiple policy.
- Progressive discounts include online quote discount, homeowner, online signing, continuous coverage, good student, and multi-vehicle.
- Allstate has savings for anti-lock brakes, early signing, EZ pay plan discount, premier plus, and anti-theft.
- Nationwide policyholders can earn discounts including Farm Bureau membership, defensive driving, multi-policy, accident-free, and anti-theft.
- MetLife may include discounts for defensive driver, multi-policy, good driver, good student, accident-free, and claim-free.
When getting a coverage quote, ask every company what discounts are available to you. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts might not be offered in your area. To locate insurance companies with discount rates in North Carolina, click here.
Buying from insurance agencies
A small number of people just prefer to go talk to an agent and we recommend doing that The biggest benefit of getting free rate quotes online is that drivers can save money and get lower rates and still have a local agent.
To find an agent, once you fill out this form (opens in new window), your information is transmitted to insurance agents in Raleigh who will give you quotes for your car insurance coverage. You won't even need to find an agent because prices are sent to your email. You can find lower rates without the usual hassles of price shopping. If you wish to quote rates for a specific company, you would need to find their quoting web page and give them your coverage information.
Choosing a insurance company should depend on more than just the premium amount. Below are some questions you should ask.
- Will you work with the agent or an assistant?
- Are they giving you every discount you deserve?
- How experienced are they in personal risk management?
- Does the agent recommend any additional coverage?
- Do you need full coverage on every vehicle?
- How often do they review coverages?
- Which insurance company do they prefer to write with?
- Which companies can they place coverage with?
Pick the best car insurance agent in Raleigh for you
When narrowing the list to find an insurance agent, it's helpful to know the different types of agencies and how they are distinctly different. Agents may be either exclusive or independent.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents of this type normally can only provide a single company's rates and some examples include American Family, State Farm, and AAA. They usually cannot provide rate quotes from other companies so if the price isn't competitive there isn't much they can do. These agents are highly trained in insurance sales which helps them sell on service rather than price.
Below is a list of exclusive insurance agencies in Raleigh that are able to give rate quotes.
Vincent Boone - State Farm Insurance Agent
7850 Alexander Promenade PI #105 - Raleigh, NC 27617 - (919) 957-9009 - View Map
John Hill - State Farm Insurance Agent
7320 Six Forks Rd #200 - Raleigh, NC 27615 - (919) 848-0644 - View Map
Independent Car Insurance Agencies
Independent agents are appointed with more than one company so they can insure your vehicles amongst many companies and get the cheapest rates. If your premiums go up, they simply move the coverage in-house and you can keep the same agent.
When searching for an agent, you should always include rate quotes from at a minimum one independent agency so that you can do a thorough price comparison.
The following are Raleigh independent agents that can give you comparison quotes.
Nationwide Insurance: E Bradford Parker Insurance Agency Inc
1425 Rock Quarry Rd #105a - Raleigh, NC 27610 - (919) 833-6111 - View Map
Do the work, save more money
Affordable Chevy Colorado insurance in Raleigh can be purchased from both online companies and also from your neighborhood Raleigh agents, so get free Raleigh auto insurance quotes from both of them in order to have the best chance of saving money. A few companies may not offer rates over the internet and most of the time these regional carriers work with independent insurance agencies.
When shopping online for car insurance, do not reduce needed coverages to save money. There are too many instances where consumers will sacrifice comprehensive coverage or liability limits to discover at claim time that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. The goal is to buy the best coverage you can find at the lowest possible cost but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
Additional learning opportunities
- Teen Driving Statistics (iihs.org)
- Who Has Affordable North Carolina Car Insurance for Drivers Over Age 60? (FAQ)
- What is the Cheapest Auto Insurance in Burlington, North Carolina? (FAQ)
- How Much are North Carolina Car Insurance Quotes for Uber Drivers? (FAQ)
- What is the Cheapest Auto Insurance in Apex, North Carolina? (FAQ)
- How Much is Car Insurance for a Company Car in North Carolina? (FAQ)
- Protecting Teens from Drunk Driving (Insurance Information Institute)
- Automakers compete to add autobraking (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Understanding Your Insurance Deductible (Insurance Information Institute)
- Avoiding Deer Collisions (Insurance Information Institute)