There isn't anyone who looks forward to buying insurance, particularly when their premiums are too high.
Statistics show that the majority of drivers kept their coverage with the same insurance company for four years or more, and just under half have never even compared quotes to find cheaper rates. American drivers can cut their rates by approximately $859 a year just by getting comparison quotes, but they won't spend time to compare rates.
Many car insurance companies vie for your business, so it can be very hard to choose a insurance company and get the best coverage at the cheapest price on Ford Fusion insurance in Raleigh.
Components of Your Ford Fusion Insurance Premiums
Lots of things are considered when pricing auto insurance. Some of the criteria are obvious such as traffic violations, but some are more transparent like where you live or your vehicle rating. Part of the insurance buying process is learning some of the elements that are used to determine the rates you pay for insurance. If you understand what influences your rates, this allows you to make educated decisions that could help you find much lower annual insurance costs.
Listed below are some of the factors used by companies to determine prices.
- When should you not file a claims? - Car insurance companies in North Carolina provide lower rates to policyholders who only file infrequent claims. If you're an insured who likes to file claims you can expect either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Your car insurance is intended to be relied upon for claims that you cannot pay yourself.
- Higher physical damage deductibles are cheaper - Physical damage protection, also called comprehensive and collision insurance, insures against damage to your Ford. A few examples of covered claims could be a broken windshield, damage from fire, or theft. Comp and collision deductibles define how much you are required to spend out-of-pocket if the claim is covered. The higher the amount you're willing to pay, the lower your rates will be.
- Deter vehicle theft - Purchasing a vehicle with a theft deterrent system can save you a little every year. Anti-theft devices such as OnStar, LoJack tracking, and tamper alarms can thwart auto theft and help lower rates.
- Extra policy coverages can cost a lot - Insurance policies have a lot of optional add-on coverages that may not really be needed if you aren't careful. Coverages like roadside assistance, high-cost glass coverage, and motor club memberships may be costing you every month. The coverages may be enticing at first, but now you might not need them so consider taking them off your policy.
- Never let your insurance policy lapse - Not maintaining insurance is not a good idea and you will pay a penalty because you let your insurance lapse. Not only will rates go up, being ticketed for driving with no insurance will get you a fine, jail time, or a revoked license. You may then be required to prove you have insurance by filing a SR-22 with the North Carolina motor vehicle department.
- Better drivers pay less - Your driving citation history influences premium rates substantially. Drivers with clean records tend to pay less for car insurance as compared to those with violations. Getting just one citation can boost insurance rates by as much as thirty percent. Drivers who have gotten careless violations such as reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence may find that they have to to complete a SR-22 with their state motor vehicle department in order to continue driving.
- Safety first - Safer cars can get you lower premiums. These vehicles reduce occupant injuries and any reduction in injury severity means your insurance company pays less passed on to you as lower rates.
- Insurance loss probability for a Ford Fusion - Insurance companies use past loss statistics for each vehicle as a way to help calculate a profitable premium price. Models that have a trend towards higher claim severity or frequency will cost more to insure.
The data below shows the collected loss data for Ford Fusion vehicles. For each policy coverage, the loss probablilty for all vehiclescombined as an average equals 100. Percentage numbers below 100 suggest losses that are better than average, while values over 100 indicate more frequent claims or statistically larger claims.
Car Insurance Loss Data for Ford Fusion Models
Vehicle Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Ford Fusion 2WD 110 95 108 116 111 105 Ford Fusion 4WD 115 85 120 88 77 71 Ford Fusion Hybrid 125 97 98 92 93 95 Ford Fusion Plug-in Hybrid 128 87 91 88 91 107
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
Just remember that making a lot of price comparisons helps locate the best offered rates.
The companies shown below provide price quotes in Raleigh, NC. If more than one company is shown, we suggest you visit as many as you can to get the lowest price.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Fusion S 4-Dr Sedan||$178||$262||$326||$20||$98||$884||$74|
|Fusion SE 4-Dr Sedan||$242||$456||$250||$14||$74||$1,036||$86|
|Fusion Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$196||$436||$420||$24||$126||$1,202||$100|
|Fusion SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$172||$302||$254||$16||$76||$820||$68|
|Fusion Sport 4-Dr Sedan||$176||$308||$250||$14||$74||$822||$69|
|Fusion SEL AWD 4-Dr Sedan||$220||$404||$256||$16||$76||$972||$81|
|Fusion Sport AWD 4-Dr Sedan||$144||$312||$324||$20||$96||$896||$75|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices above based on single female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1,000 deductibles, and North Carolina minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, homeowner, and safe-driver. Price estimates do not factor in your specific Raleigh location which can modify premium rates greatly.
How accidents and violations affect rates
The information below highlights how speeding tickets and fender-benders can impact Ford Fusion car insurance costs for different age groups. The costs are based on a married male driver, full coverage, $250 deductibles, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Ford Fusion insurance rates by age and gender
The chart below shows the comparison of Ford Fusion auto insurance rates for male and female drivers. The costs are based on no driving violations, no at-fault accidents, full physical damage coverage, $500 deductibles, drivers are single, and no other discounts are factored in.
Insurance myths debunked
Big name companies like GEICO, State Farm and Progressive endlessly run ads on TV and radio. All the companies have a common claim that people will save if you just switch to them. How does each company charge you a lower premium? It's all in the words they use.
Different companies quote their best rates for the type of driver that is profitable for them. One example of a profitable customer could possibly be between the ages of 30 and 45, has few claims, and has excellent credit. A driver who fits that profile receive the lowest rate quotes in Raleigh and will probably save some money.
Potential insureds who are not a match for those standards must pay higher prices which usually ends up with the prospect going elsewhere. If you listen closely, the ads state "drivers that switch" but not "everyone who gets a quote" will save that much if they switch. This is how insurance companies can confidently make those statements.
That is why you should get Raleigh auto insurance quotes from several different companies. It is impossible to predict with any certainty which company will have the best Ford Fusion insurance in Raleigh.
It may be expensive, but it's not optional
Even though it's not necessarily cheap to insure a Ford in Raleigh, insuring your vehicle may not be optional for several reasons.
- Just about all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means the state requires a minimum amount of liability coverage if you don't want to risk a ticket. In North Carolina these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your Ford Fusion, most lenders will require that you buy insurance to guarantee loan repayment. If you let the policy lapse, the bank may insure your Ford at a much higher rate and make you pay for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance safeguards your Ford and your assets. It also can pay for medical transport and hospital expenses incurred in an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance will also pay attorney fees if you are sued as the result of your driving. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of insuring your Fusion more than cancel out the cost, especially for larger claims. The average driver in North Carolina overpays more than $820 a year so compare rate quotes once a year at a minimum to ensure rates are inline.
Discount Raleigh car insurance quotes
Some insurers don't always publicize all available discounts very well, so the list below details both well-publicized and also the more inconspicuous credits that may apply to you. If you do not double check each discount you qualify for, it's possible you qualify for a lower rate.
- Low Mileage - Driving fewer miles can qualify you for substantially lower car insurance rates.
- Multi-line Discount - Insurance carriers who offer life insurance give a discount if you purchase life insurance.
- Buy New and Save - Insuring a new Fusion can cost up to 25% less since newer models have better safety ratings.
- Bundled Policy Discount - If you can bundle your home and auto insurance with one company you may earn at least 10% off all policies.
- Pay Now and Pay Less - If you pay your bill all at once instead of monthly or quarterly installments you can actually save on your bill.
- Multiple Vehicles - Buying insurance for multiple cars on the same car insurance policy can reduce the rates for all insured vehicles.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives - Drivers who require all occupants to use a seat belt can save up to 15% off the medical payments premium.
- Military Discounts - Having a family member in the military could be rewarded with lower rates.
As a footnote on discounts, many deductions do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Some only apply to individual premiums such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. Even though it may seem like you could get a free car insurance policy, companies wouldn't make money that way.
The best car insurance companies and a selection of discounts are:
- State Farm has discounts for Drive Safe & Save, driver's education, good driver, safe vehicle, student away at school, multiple policy, and passive restraint.
- GEICO offers discounts including defensive driver, multi-vehicle, emergency military deployment, anti-theft, and good student.
- Progressive has savings for homeowner, multi-vehicle, online signing, multi-policy, good student, and continuous coverage.
- 21st Century may include discounts for homeowners, teen driver, theft prevention, early bird, good student, defensive driver, and driver training.
- American Family policyholders can earn discounts including multi-vehicle, mySafetyValet, bundled insurance, air bags, good student, and defensive driver.
- The Hartford includes discounts for good student, driver training, bundle, anti-theft, air bag, and defensive driver.
- AAA may offer discounts for pay-in-full, multi-policy, good driver, multi-car, AAA membership discount, anti-theft, and good student.
Check with each company the best way to save money. Some discounts may not be offered in Raleigh. To choose providers with significant discounts in North Carolina, click here.
Insurance agencies are trained to help
Certain consumers prefer to sit down and talk to an agent and that is not a bad decision A good thing about getting online price quotes is that drivers can save money and get the best rates and still have a local agent. Buying insurance from neighborhood insurance agencies is important particularly in Raleigh.
By using this short form, your information is instantly submitted to local insurance agents who will give you bids to get your business. You don't have to search for an agent because quoted prices will be sent to the email address you provide. You can most likely find cheaper rates without the usual hassles of price shopping. If you wish to get a price quote from a specific insurance company, feel free to find their quoting web page and fill out their quote form.
Below are Raleigh car insurance companies that are able to give price quote information for Ford Fusion insurance in Raleigh.
Finding the right provider requires more thought than just the quoted price. Some important questions to ask are:
- Do they have cheaper tiers of coverage?
- How would your car be valued if totalled?
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
- Are there any discounts for paying up front?
- How much will you save each year by using a higher deductible?
Compare rates regularly to save
We just covered a lot of ways to save on Ford Fusion insurance in Raleigh. The key thing to remember is the more rate comparisons you have, the better chance you'll have of finding affordable Ford Fusion insurance quotes. Consumers could even find that the lowest prices are with some of the smallest insurance companies. They may cover specific market segments cheaper as compared to the big name companies such as Progressive and GEICO.
Cheaper auto insurance in Raleigh is definitely available both online as well as from independent agents in Raleigh, and you should be comparing both in order to have the best chance of saving money. A few companies may not provide the ability to get quotes online and many times these smaller companies provide coverage only through independent insurance agents.
As you shop your coverage around, it's very important that you do not sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There are a lot of situations where an insured dropped liability limits or collision coverage to discover at claim time that the small savings ended up costing them much more. Your focus should be to find the BEST coverage for the lowest price while not skimping on critical coverages.
Much more information about auto insurance in North Carolina can be read at these links:
- How to Avoid Staged Accidents (State Farm)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest in Durham, North Carolina? (FAQ)
- What is the Cheapest Auto Insurance in Burlington, North Carolina? (FAQ)
- Choosing an Insurance Company (Insurance Information Institute)
- Side Impact Crash Tests (iihs.org)